WP Super Cache and W3 Total Cache are two of the most famous WordPress cache plugins known by every webmaster. They are effective to speed up WordPress websites and widely used by millions of websites all around the world. With similar features and functionality, which is exactly better for WordPress? In this article, we have compared WP Super Cache VS W3 Total Cache to identify their features and performance.
WP Super Cache and W3 Total Cache are helpful to increase WordPress speed by caching static pages in the servers worldwide, and serving visitors with the closest server rather than generating dynamic content every time visitor request. However, it’s not enough because most of the website slowness is caused by the slow web hosting services.
Before installing a cache plugin, we highly recommend you transferring your site to a truly fast web hosting provider. The below is the top 3 fast web hosting providers which is rated from over 100 web hosts. With two state-of-art data centers and advanced technology, they have full ability to ensure the hosting sites fast.
If you have hosted on a fast web hosting, you can utilize cache plugin to increase the speed of your site. As below, we have compared WP Super Cache VS W3 Total Cache in detail, you can learn about their differences as the following.
WP Super Cache is a very fast caching engine which generates static HTML files for WordPress websites. W3 Total Cache is an easy to install and use WordPress performance optimization framework designed to improve user experience and page speed. They are both efficient to speed up website speed, but which should be chosen for your site?
To help you find out the answer, we have tried both plugins on our site, reviewed and tested their features, performance, and benefits. And finally, we find that W3 Total Cache is better than WP Super Cache. See the overall comparison as the following.
|Feature||WP Super Cache||W3 Total Cache|
|Requires||3.0 or higher||3.2 or higher|
|Compatible up to||3.6.1||3.5.2|
|Ease of Use|
|Download||Download This Plugin||Download This Plugin|
We review WP Super Cache and W3 Total Cache plugins comprehensively, so you can learn about their detailed features in the below.
WP Super Cache
WP Super Cache is a static WordPress cache plugin generates HTML files served directly by Apache instead of processing comparatively heavy PHP scripts. Without invoking a single line of PHP, this plugin significantly speeds up your site.
The Features of WP Super Cache
- This plugin is fully compatible and works well with WordPress MU in VHOST and non-VHOST configuration.
- It includes WP-Cache and protected posts fix.
- It bans gzip compression automatically in WordPress rather than dying.
- The cache can only be invalidated if a comment is definitely not spam for the improvement of Akismet and other spam fighting tools.
- The “lock down” button that locks down the static cache files but doesn’t delete them when a new comment is submitted.
- Better support for Microsoft Windows.
- It serves files in 3 ways as Mod_rewrite, PHP and Legacy caching.
- It automatically updates your .htaccess file.
- It does not cache any request with GETP parameters.
- It always properly serve cached static files on Red Hat/Cent OS systems or others that have an entry for gzip in /etc/mime.types.
- It supports applications which show a different theme to mobile devices.
By serving visitor with the closest cached files, the website loading speed is greatly increased which has a significant improvement on the website performance and user experience. Besides, there is less possibility to using more resources provided by the hosting company.
W3 Total Cache
Not only another cache plugin, W3 Total Cache is a WordPress performance optimization framework. Besides the millions of downloads, it is also recommended by the reliable web hosts such as HostGator, Page.ly, GoDaddy, etc. W3 Total Cache improves user experience by increasing the server performance, reducing the download time and providing transparent content delivery network integration.
The features of W3 Total Cache
- W3 Total Cache is completely compatible with shared hosting, VPS hosting, and dedicated servers.
- It is along with transparent CDN management with media library, theme files and WordPress.
- It imports post attachments directly into the media library and CDN.
- It caches browser by using cache-control, future expire headers and entity tags.
With all the above features, W3 Total Cache boosts the website performance with at least 10 times and saves up to 80% bandwidth, etc. Without changing WordPress core, themes, plugins, or how you produce your content, it improves user experience, conversion rates, search rankings, page views, optimizes progressive render for pages start rendering quickly and reduces page loading time.
Both WP Super Cache and W3 Total Cache are excellent to improve the performance of WordPres websites. Slightly, W3 Total Cache is a little bit better than WP Super Cache according to our comparison. However, which one to choose is completely based on your actual needs.