Developed initially in 2011, WordPress Jetpack has been widely used by a lot of webmasters nowadays. Millions of administrators install and use this plugin to enjoy its experience. Due to its popularity and large user base, we’d like to come out a WordPress Jetpack review, with which our readers can know clearly what it is, whether it is useful and how to use it.
What is WordPress Jetpack?
For people who are wishing to use WordPress to set up their websites, there are 2 options to choose: WordPress.org and WordPress.com. Due to the high flexibility and cost-effectiveness, many people choose the self-hosted WordPress install, thus miss out some great highlights of WordPress.com. Jetpack, however, is designed to deal with this embarrassment by connecting the attractive features available on WordPress.com to WordPress.org. You can check out their differences and common points in this article.
Why Need It?
By leveraging the power of awesome cloud technology from WordPress.com, this tool can supercharge your self-hosted WordPress website with some competitive benefits. We have listed some of the most beneficial ones in the following.
- WordPress.com Stats – It displays the simple and concise stats for your website with a clear and intuitive user interface.
- Jetpack Comments – This is a new comment system that replaces the traditional comment form and integrates with the social media login options.
- Related Posts – This is a new feature that allows you to display links to related articles within your website. The relevant content can be displayed at the bottom of your posts.
- Gravatar Hovercards – This helps you display a pop-up business card in your profile section on the web, making your information visible to visitors.
- Tiled Galleries – With the well-organized layouts, you can display your image galleries perfectly with three new styles – rectangular mosaic, square mosaic, and circular grid.
- Shortcode Embeds – This highlight can help you embed video shortcode easily from various sites like YouTube, Vimeo, and SlideShare.
Jetpack has mainly been designed to make it easier for the administrators to manage their WordPress sites. There are 24 free modules in this plugin, each of which is responsible to improve the performance, design and usability of the website.
With the Jetpack plugin, there is a scope for making socializing, sharing and contacting easier than ever before. The plugin has imperative modules that add widgets to the website in order to facilitate ease of access to administrators as well as readers.
When it comes to statistics and charts, the plugin offers a module specially designed for easier representation of charts and statistics. This plugin avoids the need for Google Analytics.
It consists of a data-structure that prevents the need for HTML. The unique feature allows the administrator to easily use data and avoid coding for HTML.
Getting in the depth of its features, the WordPress Jetpack plugin consists of various tools that provide a helping hand to the administrator in making the website simpler and more user-friendly. Here are some tools presented in Jetpack that improves the functionality of the WordPress site.
- Publicize: It is the tool that promotes your website’s activities on social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Tumblr and Yahoo connections. With social marketing being an inevitable SEO channel, Publicize is an efficient module to manage the social services.
- Sharing: The plugin offers a range of custom sharing buttons that allow viewers to share easily and quickly. Although it doesn’t include a button to share in hundreds of networks, viewers can find the most popular networks for sure.
- Sidebar Widgets: It is easy to add customizable widgets to a webpage, thanks to the sidebar widgets. Whether it is the Twitter Feed or an image widget, administrators can add it in a few clicks!
- Carousel: It is a versatile image tool for a WordPress site which is completely responsive in multiple devices. Its presence enhances the beauty of the website.
- Jetpack Comments: It is a handy plugin that facilitates commenting on the WordPress site. With a social connection option and smart comment box, readers can share their views effortlessly.
- Shortcode Embeds: It is a helping hand for the administrators because it supports many services including some rare ones such as Google Maps and slideshow services.
- WordPress Stats: With simplicity being the highlight of Jetpack, WordPress represents page views, geo stats and content count in a simplified form. It allows the administrator to check the details on custom post types, users and comments via charts and tables.
The Jetpack plugin for WordPress is used by millions of websites because of its features and attractions. Although the plugin has received mixed responses from the market, there is no doubt that it has generated thousands of loyal users since its launch. As most of the modules included in the plugin are user-friendly, administrators get habituated to its interface quickly and feel pleasure to use its features.
Although the plugin cannot be called flawless, important updates have improved the plugin to make it better than most of its counterparts. Presently, it is compatible with all WordPress versions higher than version 3.8.
How to Use It?
To make use of this powerful plugin, you only need to follow 4 steps. All the steps are easy to handle so that you don’t require any advanced knowledge about coding. This means even a newbie who utilizes WordPress for the first time can manage Jetpack with no hassle.
Step One: Sign up a WordPress.com Account
Note that this tool is used to integrate WordPress.com features with your website, so the first thing you need to do is signing up with this platform. This is pretty simple. After logging into http://wordpress.com/, and click the Get Started button with an orange color, you will be directed to an application page that requires you to enter your username, e-mail address, password, and site URL. Upon finishing the information, you only need to click the Create Blog button, then you can activate the WordPress.com Account. Remember the account username and password as you’ll need them in the latter steps.
Step Two: Install and Activate Jetpack by WordPress.com
You can finish step by uploading the Jetpack zip file to your website or directly from the WordPress dashboard. Here, we simply assume you adopt the second method.
You need to login to your WordPress dashboard and scroll down to find the Plugin tab. After clicking it, there is an Add New button for you to hit. Then, you can see a plugin searching page in the left hand. Now, you need to enter the plugin name and click the Search Plugin button. While clicking the Install Now button in the result list under your target, you can use this tool at once. Besides, don’t forget to activate it after a successful installation.
Step Three: Authorize WordPress.com
The next thing you need to do is to connect WordPress.com with your website. In fact, upon activation of this plugin, you can see a blue banner appeared at the top of the page asking you to connect to WordPress.com. You can click the in-side green button for connection.
In the next screen, you need to enter your WordPress.com password and username, and then click the Authorize Jetpack button.
Step Four: Learn and Configure Features
After authorization, you are allowed to use all the features included in Jetpack from WordPress.com. You can learn their functionalities by clicking the Learn More button, and configure some of these features for better performance.