At present, carrying out the on-page SEO is a must-do practice for all the webmasters to benefit their online rankings and improve the daily traffic. Generally, the on-page SEO refers to all the methods that can take an effect on your site for the better optimization on contents, structures, meta tags, keywords, link buildings and many more, leading to a better SEO result for your website.
In the following, we’d like to come out the top 10 tips about how to start the on-page SEO successfully.
Tip 1 – Frequently Update Your Site with High-Quality Contents
When it comes to the on-page SEO, your website content goes first. After all, it is the base and backbone of your site and is what your readers come to check. Now, the question is what kind of content can be regarded as the truly quality one?
In fact, the best content should be informative enough to give your readers some inspirations and thoughts, to resolve their issues, to deal with their confusions and to tell them something fresh. You always need to remember that people who enter your site must have their own demands, and your blog posts need to supply their demands.
There are a lot of tricks about how to write down a quality blog post, among which the error-free spelling, totally original writing and proper keywords utilization as the core aspects you should focus.
In addition, you need to make sure that you can publish great posts on a regular basis – 3 times a week at least. After all, readers are looking for something new from you constantly and searching spiders are more likely to crawl and index your fresh contents.
Tip 2 – Decide Your Title Tags Carefully
Adding the good title tag for your posts and pages can result in a terrific SEO result with low efforts and high impacts. It is the clickable text that showcased in the searching result pages, telling both readers and searching robots about what you are talking about clearly. To achieve this aspect effectively, you’d better consider the following tricks.
- Length – For Google, the displaying length of a title tag is of 512 pixels in wide and around 55 in the number of characters. If you exceed the limit, Google will truncate your titles with the ellipsis. Therefore, to make sure that your title tags can be displayed in a full manner, you’d better be mindful of the certain length.
- Keywords – If you enter the keywords into your title tags, search engines will highlight them when online users are performing a searching query that contains these words. This results in a high click-through rate with the great visibility. Besides, as search engines rank your posts by valuing the relevance between the queries and your contents, the utilization of keywords can benefit this aspect a lot. Also, according to our testing result, it is more effective to place the keywords at the beginning of the title tags than locating them at the end.
In addition to these two core tips, there are also some other respects you should pay attention. To get more detailed information, you can check How to Make Good Title Tags To Boost WordPress SEO.
Tip 3 – Add the Meta Description
The meta description is the HTML element that summarizes the contents of your blog posts for both readers and search engines. It is used on SERPs to display the preview snippets of your given articles, along with an optimal length of 155 characters roughly.
Actually, this aspect has no big impact on the search rankings, but is critical for obtaining CTR from online users. After all, the meta description gives you great chances to advertise your contents, attracting people to make a click for more information.
To add it to each of your blog posts, you can make use of the SEO by Yoast tool. As for how to optimize your meta description to get the most effective result, you can gain some inspirations from WordPress Meta Description Optimization for SEO.
Tip 4 – Use the Body Tags of H1, H2 and H3
These body tags are critical for search engines to figure out the important parts of your blog posts and to better know your article hierarchy. Therefore, when breaking your contents into multiple sections, you need to use these tags for their exclusive headings. Generally, the H1 tag is used for the post titles, and H2/H3 is used for the subsequent headlines.
Tip 5 – Pay Attention to the Image Optimization
The graphical component is important for your website contents nowadays. It adds more attraction on the webpage, showcase your ideas in a vivid way and ease the eyestrain of your readers when browsing the long paragraph.
However, for the sake of your on-page SEO, you need to pay attention to the following tips to add images into your posts in a strategic manner.
- As search engines cannot understand the graphical contents, you should enter the alt tag for each image to explain what is going to say. If possible, you can enter the keywords to tighten the relationship between the images and your posts.
- Focus on the image quality. As it is a part of your blog post, some vague photos may devalue the overall quality of your blog posts.
- The large-scale images can slow down your page loading speed. Therefore, before uploading an image to your website, you’d better check the size and decide whether to compress it to a smaller size.
- The picture-rich contents can give visitors much pleasure when reading your posts, but the picture-flooded posts may result in many headaches. Personally, it is good to add no more than 5 images in an article that contains around 1500 words.
Tip 6 – Use Clear Website Structure with Easy Navigation
This is another critical aspect for your on-page SEO. You have to make sure that your website is well-structured with an easy-to-manage navigation menu. This way, both searching spiders and human beings can find their target information with the fewest clicks.
Generally, the good navigation bar should be placed at the most obvious location of your webpages, along with the easy hierarchy, clear category labels and “Go Home” button. Here, you can check these 7 golden rules about how to achieve the best website navigation.
Tip 7 – Build Up the Internal Linking
As the smart internal linking can have a huge impact on your on-page SEO, you’d better insert the internal links into each of your blog posts. This practice can lead to two great results.
- You can achieve a tight connection among all your webpage, which results in a great reading experience as people can navigate to related posts easily.
- Searching spiders will crawl more contents on your site via the internal links, which benefits your webpage indexing greatly.
As for the strategies for internal link building, you can check this post to learn how to start this practice properly.
Tip 8 – Make Use of SEO-Friendly Permalinks
The permalink is the online address of your blog posts, so you have to make it as SEO-friendly as possible. After searching on the web, we have found that some webmasters adopt the permalinks just like
http://www.yourdomainname.com/p=123 or http://www.yourdomainname.com/2015-10-16. In fact, these kinds of permalinks can all be regarded as the ugly options.
The truly quality and effective one should be keyword-rich, short and easy-to-type. For instance, we’d like to adopt https://whatswp.com/top-10-tips-on-page-seo/ as the permalink for this post.
Tip 9 – Speed Up Your Website Loading
Search engines now value the page loading speed greatly when deciding the online ranking of your website. Therefore, you should speed up your website as fast as possible, which results in the good ranking metrics for search engines and a great browsing e experience for your readers.
Tip 10 – Leverage the SEO Tools
In addition to optimizing your website personally, you can also leverage the power of some SEO tools, among which the SEO by Yoast is the most widely used one. These tools can patch the loopholes of your optimization, and improve the on-page SEO in a deeper manner.