Both NameCheap and GoDaddy are award-winning domain name registrars that have been trusted by millions of webmasters all over the world. But how about their web hosting services? Do they do the same good in web hosting as they do in the domain registration field?
As many of our readers are seeking the answers to these questions, we have carried out in-depth reviews of the two companies, and have compared them objectively and comprehensively from multiple important aspects including the cost-effectiveness, features, performance, etc.
Before learning the details about the pros and cons of the two companies, take a look at the ratings below first.
|Plan in Comparison||Value||Economy|
|Read Review||NameCheap Review||GoDaddy Review|
This company is an ICANN accredited domain registrar and web hosting provider, which serves customers since 2000. Having been in this industry for more than 10 years, this host now has more than 500,000 customers and over 2 million domains under the management. As claimed in the homepage, it only provides people with fast, secure, and reliable services, along with a high level of usability and the latest advanced technologies.
To know more about this host, simply check the pros and cons in the following.
- Control Panel – This web host allows customers to manage their websites using the most widely used cPanel control panel, but not a custom and self-built one. With an intuitive user interface and a lot of easy-to-understand icons, even beginners who only have the most basic knowledge about computer can control the sites without any hassle.
- Reliable Infrastructure – This company has a lot of data centers across North America and Europe, each of which features fully redundant key systems, including network, power supply, climate control, and security. Based on these advanced data center infrastructures, NameCheap is able to guarantee customers at least 99.9% uptime.
- Advanced Features – According to the feature list, it offers almost all the competitive features that are useful for both newbies and geeks. For instance, there are more than 100 free scripts like WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, and Cube Cart, along with PHP 5, MySQL 5, CGI, Perl, SSI, Ruby on Rails, and SSH, etc.
- Short Money Back Period – As compared with many other web hosts we have reviewed so far, this company offers a short money back period that is only 14 days. To be frank, it is difficult for customers to test the quality of the hosting service with such a short time. Besides, the majority of companies in the industry guarantee customers at least 30 days refund validity, let alone many others even allow an anytime money back guarantee.
- Limited Disk Space – While many hosting companies provide customers with an unlimited allocation of disk space, this company has set some restrictions in this aspect, which is ranging from 25 GB to 150 GB.
- Lack of Phone Support – NameCheap claims to offer a 24/7 responsive technical support. However, customers cannot get help via the quickest method of phone call, causing great inconvenience for those who meet something urgent and need instant assistance.
This is another quality web host that has been serving customers for a long period of time. With more than 4,000 professional and hardworking employees, it now has supported more than 55 million domains with over 12 million customers, and the number continues soaring unceasingly.
- Cheap Price – This web host offers 3 hosting packages that are cheaper than many other hosting solutions we have reviewed so far, which are priced ranging from $2.99/mo to $4.99/mo. Thus, even the notoriously poor students can afford to set up their websites easily with this company.
- Good Hosting Reliability – As the data center and web servers have a huge impact on the website uptime and webpage loading speed, GoDaddy leverages the power of quality DELL servers and world-class server facility, guaranteeing almost no downtime in the real world.
- Not Rich-Featured – Its cheapest Economy plan only allows 1 website hosted on 1 one account, along with 100 GB of disk space, 10 MySQL databases, and 100 e-mail addresses merely. Even the most expensive Ultimate plan doesn’t offer unlimited e-mail accounts. In terms of some advanced features, this company fails to support Cron and Curl.
- Lack of Live Chat Support – For customers who need instant help but cannot communicate with technical support staffs fluently, the availability of live chat support is very important. However, GoDaddy just fails to include it into its support channels.
According to the information presented above, both of the 2 companies have their own benefits and drawbacks. In fact, there are many differences lying behind their hosting features which have not been analyzed in detail in the company introductions. For example, they allocate different amounts of disk space and allow different numbers of websites in their basic plans.
To help readers better compare the two companies’ hosting services, we have made the following table which lists the main features in their web hosting plans. Note that for easier understanding, we have only selected the entry-level NameCheap Value plan and GoDaddy Economy plan for the comparison. Those who want to learn more about the other plans offered by these companies should check the feature information on their official websites.
Besides, as we do think neither of NameCheap and GoDaddy offers rich features, we have also included InMotion Hosting Launch plan in the comparison to guarantee a better understanding about our conclusion.
|Plan in Comparison||Value||Economy||Launch|
|Disk Space||20 GB||100 GB||Unlimited|
|Ruby on Rails|
|Backups||Twice a Week||Daily||Daily|
|Money Back||14 Days||30 Days||90 Days|
|Support Service||E-mail, Live Chat||E-mail, Hotline||E-mail, Hotline, Live Chat|
|How to Claim||–||–||Link Activation|
Web Hosting Speed
The slow web hosting speed is a common shortage of NameCheap and GoDaddy. Initially focusing on domain registration instead of web hosting, the two companies have done something to improve the performance of their hosting services, but it seems that the achievements are not huge.
According to our monitoring, both NameCheap and GoDaddy need more than 550ms to make a single response to a server request, not to mention the time needed for complete page loads.
NameCheap claims to speed up all websites with SSD accelerated disk storage. However, only those who purchase the most expensive plan can get pure SSDs for the storage of files, so the SSD is more like a marketing strategy used to convince new users that its speed is guaranteed.
GoDaddy has been complained severely for the poor speed of its servers and networks. Although the company has made much to improve the stability of its hosting services and has achieved success in this aspect, it hasn’t put enough emphasis on the improvement of speed. Only small pieces of information about the speeding-up technologies can be found on the company’s website.
To know how the two companies really perform in web hosting speed, see the following comparison between them, and InMotion Hosting, a well-known fast web host.
To be honest, a truly quality web host needs to guarantee a cost-effective hosting package with cheap price and rich features, fast hosting speed, at least 99.9% uptime, and responsive technical support that is available 24/7 via phone call, e-mail, and live chat. However, both NameCheap and GoDaddy fail to meet these criteria in one time.
To give our readers some better options, we have listed the top 3 web hosting providers in the following, which have been trusted and recommended by a lot of website owners and authoritative hosting review sites such as HowsHosting.com, BestHostingSearch, etc.