It is commonly acknowledged that images tremendously contribute to the search engine optimization of websites. Thus, the significance of images optimization cannot be underestimated.
Websites that don’t include adequate images may fail to stimulate the reading interest of visitors, but too many images may lead to negative influences on search ranking and site traffic.
This tutorial is aimed at assisting you to improve Google SEO with optimized images. In the following comprehensive explanation, you can learn how to leverage Google image search with the help of detailed tips.
Why Optimize Images?
For search engines, it can only recognize images with clear textual descriptions. Thus, a website featuring optimized images is capable of seizing the opportunity to rank on the top position.
For site visitors, images are undoubtedly eye catchers, which pop up into their eyes just before reading the whole article. If readers view a website that doesn’t include images, they may feel difficult to go through the content, thus lose the reading interests.
However, it doesn’t mean that it is beneficial to use images as many as possible. Because overusing them may pose a burden on the storage of your websites, and using images with large sizes may have a negative influence on the page loading speed of webpages.
Where And How to Seek Images?
Currently, there are a lot of search engines available on the Internet, including Google, Yahoo!, Baidu, Bing, Yandex, Ask and AQL and so forth. Google shines among them, taking more than 85% market share in the field. Thus, you can search for as many quality images as you wish that are uploaded by people all over the world.
Google Images is a search service owned by Google, with which users are allowed to go around the web for image content. How to seek images you want? That is pretty easy. Just enter the keyword in Google and then click the Image button. Then it pops a page which offers you hundreds of relevant results.
How to Achieve Google Images SEO?
In order to achieve this, you simply need to pay attention to 3 factors, which include image filename, alt tag, size, format, title attributes and text relevance.
Optimize Image Filename
Filename plays an indispensable role in image SEO because Google identifies an image according to its filename. So it is of great significance to focus on the following tips on filename.
- Use hyphens or dashes to separate the words in the filename, but not use the underscores or pluses. That is because Google regards dashes as word separators and underscores as joiners.
- Accurately describe or name the image.
- Avoid using random words to name the image file.
Optimize the Alt Tag of Images
The alt tag is a part of the image HTML tag. Here we show you a specific example.
<img src="/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/alt-featured.jpg" alt="alt tag featured image"/>
This tag is used by Google to find out what the image is about. It increases the keyword relevance, thus helps images rank highly on search engine result pages. In below, we offer some suggestions concerning about how to determine the alt tag of an image.
- Try to write a description that is related to both the image and the post content as much as possible.
- Limit the words you put into the alt tag to 150 characters or fewer, because the search engines might not read the rest content.
- Use the alt attribute for images that you want to be indexed in search engine.
Some Requisite Criteria of Images on Pages
For search engine optimization, images need to be well embedded in the HTML page based on the following criteria of sizes, formats, title attributes, and text relevance.
- Image size: to maximize the loading speed of webpages, it is imperative to resize the images featuring large sizes. For instance, you can use some plugins or tools to handle this task for you, such as Hammy, Imsanity, ImagePro and so forth.
- Image Format: to choose a proper image type that fits your website the best. There are 3 most commonly used formats including JPG, PNG and GIF. JPG is a type of image compression that best suitable for photographs and complex images. PNG is for images demanding variable transparency. GIF is used for limited-color images such as logos and graphs.
- Title attributes: to increase keyword relevance by specifying the title attribute of images offering more valuable and clear information for searching spiders.
- Text relevance: to fulfill combination between images and surrounding text to create the life spring of prosperous image optimization. With this rule in mind, the text before and after should include the keywords or image file names for at least one time.