A coming soon page comes in handy when your site is under construction and getting ready to engage users with a new look. This page lets visitors into a notification and indicates that the current site will come back before long. If there is a need to shut down your site for a period of time, follow the guides below to create a stunning coming soon page in WordPress with a few steps.
What Should Be Displayed on a Coming Soon Page?
To keep regular users as well as attract new users, you should make the coming page stunning and informative. That should brief all visitors how long your site will be launched and what visitors can get from your site. Here we list some necessary elements of a great coming soon page.
- Company brand or site name – Highlight the name of your company or website on the page, making it as showy as possible. In this way, visitors would recognize your brand once accessing to this coming soon page.
- A brief introduction for your site – Leave a brief introduction about the upcoming website so as to brief visitors on what your business is. Note that, the introduction should be informative and engaging.
- Count down widget – That plays a role in reminding visitors of how long the website construction takes to come through. A process bar is also a great option to display the complete status intuitively.
- Email signup field – That makes a big difference on the increase of conversion rate. Since some visitors care a hang about your upcoming website, they would like to sign up an account and become a potential customer for your business.
- Social media buttons – Integrate the coming soon page with your social media accounts thereby encouraging visitors to get something new via those social networking platforms.
- Beautiful background – Since a great page design leaves a pleasant impression on visitors, you should select a beautiful background image for your coming soon page.
Here, we would like to show a good example of coming soon page.
In below, we will introduce two plugins for creating a great coming soon page for your WordPress site. Both plugins are good choices, and the choice depends on your preference.
Create a Stunning Coming Soon Page with Ultimate Coming Soon Page
After having a rough idea about what a coming soon page is, it’s time to create a stunning one by following this step-by-step guide. The selected method to make a hit is Ultimate Coming Soon Page plugin, which enables full customization for your coming soon page and works with all WordPress themes.
Step 1: Install and activate Ultimate Coming Soon Page Plugin via WordPress dashboard. An option “Coming Soon” is shown under Settings. That includes a list of settings to help you create and set up a unique coming soon page with ease.
Step 2: Go to Settings > Coming Soon and get started to configure some basic settings of your coming soon page. Move to Image field and this is where to display the logo of your brand. You can select an image from media library or directly enter the URL of this image. Adjust the size of this image and make it match with the whole design perfectly.
Give your coming soon page a proper name and type it in the Headline field. The words “coming soon” is not allowed to be included in the headline. Give this page a brief description, which is shown under the headline.
Step 3: Some advanced settings enable more functions to a coming soon page. To collect emails thereby developing potential customers, there is a need to display an email signup box on the page. Enable the FeebBurner function and enter your FeedBurn address as required. And then, enter the Header Scripts and Custom HTML as needed. Click “Save Changes” to confirm all settings.
Step 4: Style your coming soon page. Move to the Style setting mode and select a background image for this coming soon page. The image should be beautiful and act in high definition. If you wish to make the page design simple and quietly elegant, you can set a unique color as the background. Enable the option “Stretch Background Image” to make this background image match with any browser size.
Select a font color, which should differ from the background color. And then, set the font for headline and body according to personal needs. A list of System Fonts and Google Fonts is available here. Besides, it is optional to add custom CSS here. Since you have all settings done, click “Save Changes” button.
Step 5: Preview the newly created coming soon page. Since everything gets ready, click the “Live Preview” tab and preview this coming page on the front-end. If there is nothing to be modified, go back to the setting page and check “Yes” to activate the coming soon mode.
Create a Stunning Coming Soon Page with Maintenance Mode Plugin
Step 1 – Decide the General Settings
After installing this powerful plugin on your WordPress admin, you can start the creation from the Settings tab. Here, you can find the WP Maintenance Mode button. Simply click it to finish the general settings of this plugin.
To begin with, you need to decide the aspects for the overall status, searching robot crawling and the user role.
- By default, the maintenance mode is deactivated, so you firstly need to turn on this function by choosing the Activated option.
- Once your site is in the maintenance mood, the common readers surely cannot access your site. However, you also need to decide whether the searching spiders can crawl your website content or not. Personally, we recommend you to disallow the search robots to bypass this special mode.
- In fact, even your site is down for maintenance, you still can grant the rights to some of your users for accessing the front-end and the back-end of your site. But now, for the sake of security, you’d better only give the rights to the administrator of the website.
After finishing these general settings, you also need to decide some advanced configurations as listed in the following.
- The meta tag of robots allows you to decide whether your blog posts or webpages can be indexed by search engines and can be showcased in the searching result pages. Personally, it would be better for you to choose the noindex and the nofollow options.
- If your users have logged into your site, you can redirect them to your Coming Soon Page but not the WordPress dashboard.
- When turning off your site, you need to make some special pages bypass the maintenance mood, such as the login page. Also, you can exclude the feed, archives and some IP addresses based on your certain situation.
- You can turn on the notice function to inform you of the activation for the maintenance mood.
- The plugin allows you to showcase the link for your dashboard on the Coming Soon Page, but we do not recommend you to do so.
Step 2 – Determine the Overall Design of the Coming Soon Page
As for the design of the Coming Soon Page, there are main two aspects for you to decide – content and background.
Page Content. This part requires you to enter the title, heading and the textual contents of this special page. In fact, the majority of visitors will not come back to your site again if they find nothing valuable on the Coming Soon Page. In this case, you need to deliver your message in an attractive and concise manner, arousing people’s interest to check what you will offer later.
Note that you can decide the color of the heading and the textual contents freely.
Background. As for the background of your Coming Soon Page, you can choose from 3 options – the custom color scheme, uploaded background from your local source and 11 build-in backgrounds offered by this plugin. Personally speaking, the image background works much better than the plain color.
Step 3 – Add Some Additional Modules for This Page
Only having some simple words appeared on your Coming Soon Page may not be enough. You’d better also add some additional components such as the countdown notification, subscription button, social networking icons and your contact information. Luckily, this plugin allows you to add these parts easily.
Countdown Notification. Here, you can decide the exact starting date, the remaining time for the countdown and the color for the text.
Subscribe Button. The subscribe button is pretty useful, with which people can be informed when your site is alive upon the subscription, and you can collect the email addresses of your potential readers.
Note that the text and color of this button can be determined by you, and you can get the statistics of how many people have subscribed to your site from this part.
Social Networks and Contact Information. This plugin allows you to display the icons of social networks for Google, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Dribble, Facebook, Twitter and Github. You simply need to enter your accounts so that people can view your social profiles easily.
As for the contact method, you can offer your email address and decide the showcase effects based on your preference.
As everything is configured properly, now, you can click the Save Settings button and check the front-end page. Note that if your update task is done, you need to deactivate the maintenance mood for turning your site alive.