As environmental issues is increasingly serious and the hosting is a big polluter actually, choosing a green host could be more eco-friendly. HostGator and GreenGeeks both claim they are green host, but which one is greener? In this article, we compare HostGator VS GreenGeeks for green hosting, and found that GreenGeeks is greener than HostGator.
As the average server produces the same emissions as a 15 mpg SUV, that means a hosting company with thousands of servers will produce a lot of carbon emissions. To be greener, HostGator and GreenGeeks take steps to minimize their environmental impacts, seeing what they do and which one does better.
HostGator VS GreenGeeks on Features & Services
GreenGeeks web hosting and HostGator shared hosting both contain rich features, providing unlimited disk space & bandwidth, site builder & 1-click installation, 24×7 support, supporting PHP 5, Perl 5, Python and MySQL databases, and allowing WordPress, Drupal, Joomla and more applications.
However, they also keep different in slight features, and GreenGeeks are more rich-featured actually.
|Plan in Comparison||Green Plan||Hatchling||Baby|
|Free Domain||Life Time|
|Ruby on Rail|
|Money Back||30 Days||45 Days||45 Days|
|Link Activation||Link Activation||Link Activation|
HostGator VS GreenGeeks for Green
To be more eco-friendly, HostGator purchases certified renewal energy credits representing 130% of the electricity. It also switches to 36% more efficient servers to improve energy utilization. With these efforts, HostGator hosting solutions are greener than commons.
However, GreenGeeks also does a better job on green web hosting by the following actions,
- 300% Green. GreenGeeks purchases 3x wind energy credits for the energy they consumed from the grid.
- Improves Servers & Reconfigures. GreenGeeks works on all servers and reconfigures them so that they could run more efficiently and use less energy. These attentions to servers make GreenGeeks to be more energy efficient in the data centers.
- Recycling Paper Usage. Not just covering the carbon footprint but covering everything. GreenGeeks also recycles rigorously in the offices, avoiding any unnecessary print to conserve papers.
- Telecommute Work. By allowing stuffs to telecommute from home or a shared home, GreenGeeks also makes effort on saving money and car emissions.
With many minor ways GreenGeeks for eco-conscious, it does a big effort to the environment. This is the reason why GreenGeeks is well recognized as the best green web hosting provider over the world.
HostGator VS GreenGeeks on Speed & Uptime
In term of speed & uptime, HostGator and GreenGeeks both have good performance. As HostGator has partnered with SoftLayer which is featured with state of the art security, power, safety, and cooling systems, it can keep the hosting sites secure, fulfilling its 99.9% uptime guarantee.
- Intel Dual Quad Core Xeon processors, 24GB RAM
- RAID-10 Hardware RAID array’s for maximum storage performance & reliability
- Multiple Gigabit connectivity with BGP routing for ultimate network connectivity
- Data center with raised floors, climate control, fire suppression systems, water detection systems, UPS & generators for secure
- 10 second server/ service monitoring and nightly backups keep the system stable and up all the time
Well, GreenGeeks also achieves the 99.9% uptime guarantee. With robust hardware, world class data facility as well as the lower amount of clients on each server, the websites on GreenGeeks keep fast and secure always.
As we monitored HostGator and GreenGeeks server responding time for over 6 month, HostGator performs 338 ms server response time averagely which is 11% faster than GreenGeeks slightly. See real-time statistics data of the past 30 days as the following chart:
HostGator VS GreenGeeks on Pricing
Both HostGator and GreenGeeks have multiple hosting plans, but we introduce the shared hosting mainly. HostGator shared hosting includess 3 level plans as Hatchling, Baby and Busines. The price depends on the plan and billing cycle customers choose. The cheapest Hatchling plan is starting at $3.82/mo, 45% off by using coupon code HG45PERCENT via this promotional link. Besides, it also comes with the following affordable features:
- 1 Free domain included.
- 4,500+ FREE Site Building Tools and Templates
- Free Website Transfer, Domain Transfer, MySQL Transfer, Script Transfe
- $100 Google Adwords Offer
GreenGeeks shared hosting has only 1 plan which is also affordable. Starting at $7.95/mo regularly, customers can always get 30% discount. However, at present, for customers going through this exclusive link, they can get extra 20% discount and start at $3.96/mo effectively.
With 30 Day Money Back Guarantee, customers could trust GreenGeeks at all, or they could ask for full fund within 30 days. No questions asked.
HostGator VS GreenGeeks on Customer Support
For customers don’t know how to do with hosting problems, choosing a provider with considerate support is a good choice. HostGator and GreenGeeks provide multiple support methods as a phone call, live chat and email ticket. And they both include online support centers on the official site that are helpful for customers who would like to solve problems by themselves.
For our real experience, the support from the two companies are very responsive. The support representitives are very professional and patient. When I chatted with GreenGeeks representative for the MySQL database problems, he answered me immediately and effectively. Besides, GreenGeeks also gets high to 92.6% customer satisfaction rate.
After the comprehensive comparison between HostGator VS GreenGeeks, it’s hard to say which is better – HostGator comes with a little faster speed while GreenGeeks provides extremely eco-friendly web hosting. We recommend that please choose the right company based on your down actual requirements.