HostGator is one of the largest WordPress hosting providers since in 2002. At present, it has been a leading company serving for millions of customers. This HostGator review aggregates its information completely for you to better understand it.
The company is a world leading hosting provider with a series of products, such as domain registration, shared hosting, reseller hosting, VPS hosting and dedicated servers. With 10+ years of development, it has over 1000 employees serving for more than 9 million domains and websites.
It designs a simple WordPress hosting plan for individuals and small businesses. Based on the solid facilities and leading technologies, it has an excellent performance and reliability.
- 100% Compatibility. HostGator is 100% compatible with WordPress. Offering unlimited features and variety of plans, it has full ability to meet WordPress requirements. It supports most of the latest technologies as Apache, MySQL, PHP, and the WordPress core. Running PHP as suPHP, it also increases WordPress security and ensures the hosting sites be safe and stable.
- Rich Features.HostGator offers 3 level plans which are featured with rich features that customers can choose the best plan based on the actual requirements and bugets.
- 1-click WordPress Installation & Update. With the exclusive QuickInstall, there is a automatic WordPress installation service available that helps customers setup their sites in few clicks and started easily.
- Flexible and Easy to Update. It includes 3 level plans so as to meet different people requirements. With these flexible plans, you can choose the best one based on your present requirements and budget, and then update to a higher level plans when your site grows up.
- A bit expensive renew price. The basic Hatchling plan is starting at $3.82/mo, but this price is just available to new customers at the first billing cycle, and renewal costs $6.95/mo. It is a bit expensive for some customers, so we recommend you hem going with the 3 years plan for $3.82/mo. Additionally, customers can chat with the representatives for 10% renewal discount.
- No dedicated data centers. Compared to other providers owning their exclusive dedicated data centers, HostGator rents data center from the third parties. However, by using world-class data centers with state of the art security, power, safety, and cooling systems, HostGator has the full ability to ensure that hosting service remains uninterrupted.
Web Hosting Price & Features
Regularly, HostGator hosting starts at $6.95/mo, and it often provides a 20% discount on weekends or holidays. However, it offers up to 45% discount for customers using the exclusive coupon code HG45PERCENT through this promotional link. This way, the hosting charge is reduced down to $3.82/mo effectively.
Although affordable on price, the hosting service is also rich-featured, coming with free add-ons, unlimited storage, unlimited data transfer, unlimited MySQL database, and more. In addition, it also supports many cut-edge technologies as PHP 7, CGI, Fast CGI, Ruby on Rails, Perl, Python, SSH, SSI, Cron, etc. Check the detailed features of different plans in the following table.
|PHP & MySQL|
|Ruby on Rails|
|Money Back Guarantee||45 days||45 days||45 days|
|Promo Link||Promo Link||Promo Link|
In addition to the basic hosting features that allow you to set up, run, manage and safeguard your website, HostGator also releases a lot of beneficial extras that are free of charges.
- There is a free dedicated IP address and the private SSL certificate available with the Business Plan.
- The ads credits for Google AdWords and Bing are available for all the three plans, valued $200 in total.
- The free HostGator Site Builder comes with more than 100 responsive and mobile-friendly themes and an Image Library.
- There 52 free scripts that can be installed with a few clicks only.
- The transfer service for website, domain, MySQL and script is available.
Managed WordPress Hosting Plans & Features
Besides the traditional web hosting services which are fully compatible with WordPress, HostGator also offers managed WordPress hosting which is specially optimized for hosting WordPress. Due to the nature of being managed, the service is more expensive than the traditional hosting plans.
At present, there are three managed WordPress hosting plans which are Starter, Standard and Business. The prices of the plans start from $5.95/mo, $7.95/mo and $9.95/mo. Below are the differences between the plans.
- Starter: Up to 1 WordPress site, 100,000 monthly visits, free migration of 1 site & 1 GB daily database backups.
- Standard: Up to 2 WordPress sites, 200,000 monthly visits, free migration of 2 sites & 2 GB daily database backups.
- Business: Up to 3 WordPress sites, 500,000 monthly visits, free migration of 3 sites & 2 GB daily database backups.
Compared with traditional hosting, managed WordPress hosting comes with several benefits. For example, WordPress is installed and updated automatically. And the performance and security are leveled up, too. Besides, HostGator provides the following features in its managed WordPress hosting services.
- The WPPro Developer Helper service is worth $100. With it, you can receive the technical help from the professional WordPress developers. Even, you can get the one-on-one consulting session about WordPress on 30 minutes for free.
- For the higher level of security, the daily database backup, file-level restore and malware removal service are all available. This way, you can keep your data safe and get off the blacklists easily.
- The CodeGuard service can protect your hardware, the SiteLock can block the automatic bot attacks, the SSL certificate can ensure the powerful encryption and the Domain Privacy can ensure the privacy protection against the identity theft.
For the hosting performance, we have made on online test to better figure out whether their hosting service is fast and reliable. The results can be checked from the below two charts.
The results are really excellent, which are 99.99% for uptime record and 338 ms for the server response speed. Even, after searching for some customer reviews, we have found that this web host ensures the great satisfaction level concerning about their hosting performance. More than 98% of their customers give the positive feedbacks.
Actually, to achieve and maintain the fast and reliable service, HostGator has done the following efforts.
- The server resources are guaranteed to handle the traffic spikes.
- They never oversell the hosting solution and locate a proper number of websites on each web server.
- Their servers are all of the high quality and there are a lot of hardware partners working with them, such as CISCO, Juniper and Level 3.
- They now rent two data centers – CyrusOne and Ace. Both of them ensure the redundant system, climate control, facility monitoring, UPS and many more.
HostGator provides 24×7 technical support for each user. The support service is powered by a team of experts with the ability to deal with any complicated technical issue. When a problem arises, users are able to seek help from an expert by opening a ticket in the support portal, making a call with the toll-free phone number, or having a chat on HostGator official website.
The first method is suggested if you have some complex issues that need much time to resolve, and the latter two are suitable in the case you are in an emergency or have simple questions only.
Besides the man-powered support, HostGator has a knowledgebase, multiple user forums and various video tutorials that can help users with most of the issues met in the daily life.
Some Quick Facts
If you want to learn more about HostGator hosting solution, you can check the following quick facts for the additional information.
- Lots of upsells in the checkout process.
- The account activation takes hours.
- The unlimited hosting solution is not true. You are not allowed to use more than 25% of the system resources for more than 90 seconds.
- The payment methods include both credit card and PayPal.
- No free domain available.
HostGator is a reliable and cost effective choice. Our editors sincerely recommend HostGator for small to medium sized business.