In today’s industry where tens of thousands of hosting companies are available, choosing a suitable one out of these choices is like twisting a kaleidoscope. Over the web, there are a considerable number of users feeling difficult to make a decision between GreenGeeks and iPage, the two highly reputable hosts. That’s why we are here to help.
Based on our comprehensive investigations, we have finally formed this detailed GreenGeeks vs iPage comparison to help readers understand both the advantages and disadvantages of the two companies before proceeding to the final purchases.
This comparison is delivered in a side-by-side manner, revolving around multiple aspects of the companies’ shared WordPress hosting services, such as the affordability, feature, uptime, speed, and much more.
Background Information & Editorial Ratings
As its name says, GreenGeeks has been a green web hosting provider since it was founded in 2008. This company doesn’t have a very long history in the industry, but its dedication to affordable and high-performance green hosting services have made it a popular and reliable choice for shared hosting, VPS and dedicated servers. This company has been well-known for 300% green hosting.
iPage is quite famous for offering cheap hosting services. With this company, you can host multiple domains at a very low cost which is no more than $2/mo. However, such a cheap price goes along with a high renewal cost which you have to pay attention. Currently, iPage is hosting over one million websites with its cheap hosting plans.
Based on the in-depth reviews of the two web hosts, we made the ratings below to help you get an understanding of their WordPress hosting services.
|Read More||GreenGeeks Review||iPage Review|
WordPress Hosting Plan & Price
As a widely-acclaimed hosting provider, GreenGeeks has gained a plenty of loyal followers throughout the globe. One of the most important secrets behind its success lies in the company’s budget-friendly pricing level. In regular, it prices its hosting plans – Ecosite Starter, Ecosite Pro, and Ecosite Premium from $4.95/mo to $16.95/mo. For readers going through this exclusive promotional link, GreenGeeks provides a 20% discount, cutting the prices as low as $3.96/mo.
Besides the favorable discounts and affordable prices, GreenGeeks also offers the following things without charging any extra fee.
- A free new domain for life or the free transfer of an existing domain.
- Free nightly data backups.
- A free marketing package with search engine submissions and SEO tools.
iPage has tailored altogether two hosting plans, including WP Starter and WP Essential, to target both entry-level and advanced WordPress users. Similarly, the company is providing a certain amount of discount that is up to 83% for users using the promotional links as below. With the discount, it rates the plans from $1.99/mo only. A free domain name for one year is included in both plans.
Based on the facts above, both GreenGeek and iPage prices are reasonable. However, iPage renews its plans at relatively high prices, which makes it not as competitive as GreenGeeks from the perspective of affordability. Check the following table for detailed information about iPage renewal prices for different plans and billing terms.
|Billing Term||WP Starter||WP Plus|
As for the money back guarantee, both of GreenGeeks and iPage promise 30 days for new customers to try and cancel. Any cancellation during the first 30 days is applicable to a full refund of all hosting fees. Domain name is non-refundable.
WordPress Hosting Feature
In general, the hosting services of both companies come with all-inclusive basic and advanced features that users will need to build and refine their WordPress websites. To be more specific, GreenGeeks and iPage provide abundant server resources like unlimited domains, storage, bandwidth, and FTP accounts. Besides, they offer:
- Easy to use control panels that are well designed and customized for users to manage their domains, emails, databases, and much more in a fast and easy way. However, GreenGeeks still wins a little because the control panel it provides is cPanel while that offered by its competitor is vDeck. cPanel is widely known to be better than vDeck in design, navigation and functionality.
- 1-click installers to help users set up their websites quickly with 280+ popular applications and software.
- Site building and promoting tools, enabling users to design and improve their WordPress websites with easy-to-use site builders, a variety of dynamic themes and templates, etc.
- Multiple free extras, including a free domain, free site migration service, free search engine marketing credits, and more, to benefit users in a real sense.
- Latest versions of critical programming scripts, such as PHP, Python, and Perl, to grant users with a 100% WordPress compatible hosting environment.
With the purpose of helping readers understand the companies’ feature offerings in a clearer manner, we have made a comparison between GreenGeeks and iPage primary hosting plans, that is, Ecosite Starter and WP Starter. Scroll down to see more detailed information about the features included within each hosting plan.
|Plan Selected||Ecosite Starter||WP Starter|
|Free Domain||For Life||For 1 Year|
|PHP, Perl, Python|
|Money Back||30 Days||30 Days|
|Discount||20% off||83% off|
|How to Claim||Link Activation||Link Activation|
WordPress Hosting Uptime
Both GreenGeeks and iPage understand the importance of hosting reliability for each type of WordPress users. Therefore, they take this part very seriously. According to our real-time monitoring and webmasters’ feedback, they have succeeded in maintaining excellent uptime records.
In total, GreenGeeks utilizes four first-class data centers located in Chicago, US, Phoenix, US, Toronto, CA, and Amsterdam, NL to cover its users around the world. Besides, this company also adopts high-performance servers, top-notch switching and routing facilities, 24×7 server monitoring, and more to maximize users’ site uptime.
Displayed in the following chart, GreenGeeks has achieved averagely 99.98% uptime in the past month. To be frank, this uptime record is quite extraordinary compared with many other competitors in the whole field.
iPage, on the other side, also has invested a lot in its hosting infrastructures. The company strategically locates its two data centers in Boston. Moreover, it equips these data centers with redundant power supplies, advanced climate control systems, top-notch isolation technologies, and so on.
By monitoring outcomes, iPage has guaranteed an average of 99.95% uptime in the previous month, slightly inferior to that of GreenGeeks yet more outstanding than the majority of the rest. Check the company’s reliability statistics in the chart below.
WordPress Hosting Speed
As for the page loading speed, the two companies’ performances are also satisfying. According to our monitoring results, GreenGeeks, on average, takes 375ms to complete the responding process to a server request while iPage consumes 559ms.
In fact, both companies have leveraged high-quality hosting infrastructures from the illustrations above. However, GreenGeeks is still faster than its opponent regarding server response time. This is mainly credited with the following “secret weapons”.
- SSD (Solid State Drive): GreenGeeks shared servers all feature full SSD storage, so the hosted websites are promised with several times faster PHP transactions and database queries, which results in much faster page loads.
- Built-in PHP caching: This technology is integrated with the server-side software as well as hardware to accelerate users’ page loads.
- CloudFlare CDN: The company partners with CloudFlare, the most reputable CDN provider, to deliver users’ website contents to their visitors with the swiftest speed.
- Optimized HTTP & MySQL: GreenGeeks frequently tweaks and improves HTTP and MySQL to boost further its hosting performance.
WordPress Hosting Support
GreenGeeks and iPage offer US-based technical supports that are available for 24×7 for users to ask for help. Backed by experienced and professional experts, the two companies’ supports are contactable via a variety of channels, such as the live chat, phone, ticket, and email.
In addition, both companies have maintained a knowledgebase section on their website, rendering users with extensive guides, tutorials, and other helpful resources to find out self-help solutions. Also, they support Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and other social media for users’ interactions.
Final Thought – Which Company Is to Your Taste?
From this in-depth GreenGeeks vs iPage comparison, it is very probably that you already have a good understanding of both common points and differences between the two companies’ hosting services. Therefore, it is time to make a final decision.
As we have mentioned before, the two companies are both worth trying for providing affordable hosting plans along with excellent uptime, fast speed, and responsive technical support. In consequence, it is up to your needs to choose the one that fits you the best. During this process, however, we certainly would like to provide some suggestions as below.
- If you have high requirements on the hosting cost, uptime, and speed, it is better to pick a plan from GreenGeeks, the one that has outperformed its rival in all the aspects.
- If you simply want to host your WordPress site on a quality company, we suggest you try iPage who also has the capability to help you create a perfect online presence.