If you are looking for a quality WordPress hosting solution and plan to going with GoDaddy, you shall not miss this GoDaddy review which introduces the feature, price, performance & speed, reliability & security, and technical support of its WordPress hosting service. All the content is based on our real experience and customer feedback.
GoDaddy is known as one of the world’s largest domain name registrar. It offers everything you may need over the web, from domain name, website builder, web hosting, servers, and SSL certificates. Founded in 1997, GoDaddy has become the leader in the industry now. However, it doesn’t mean GoDaddy shall be recommened for hosting personal WordPress sites as well.
GoDaddy started its web hosting services in 2004 and tried to extend this service to domain customers. Now, it is providing rich shared hosting plans based on both Windows and Linux platform, including web hosting, VPS hosting, reseller hosting, clouding hosting, and dedicated server. As for the WordPress service, it doesn’t have a brilliant reputation over the Internet.
The company has 3 WordPress hosting plans – Economy, Ultimate and Deluxe, starting at $3.99, $4.49 and $7.99 per month. It even supports quarterly billing for $5.99/ $8.99 /$14.99 per month. The detailed prices are listed in the following:
As other WordPress solutions pricing around $4/month averagely with a free domain name included, these 3 plans are a little bit expensive. If you are unacceptable for the price, just find the best cheap WordPress hosting offers here.
GoDaddy is a comprehensive company that understands customers needs thoroughly. It provides many awesome features, such as:
- Fast and professional hosting service.
- A large number of free themes and plug-ins for WordPress.
- 24/7 monitoring system to ensure the server security.
- Expert support through hotline, ticket system, and email.
- Advanced features like SSH, Python and Perl.
Nevertheless, Economy plan just allows 1 domain and site on one account. That is to say, if you need to host two or more WordPress sites at one time, you have to go with the GoDaddy Deluxe plan (marked as the best-value) starting at $4.49/mo.
It is doing perfectly on the business of domain name registration, but still needs improvements for the WordPress service. When searching “GoDaddy WordPress Slow” in the internet, you can easily find a lot of complaints over the forum of WordPress.org.
To help you have a direct review and comparison, we have compared the speed of the same WordPress site hosted with BlueHost and GoDaddy, and it is nearly 145% slower than BlueHost. We can easily get a simple conclusion that the speed is a concern which you shall pay attention.
Based on our research, GoDaddy only has one data center in Phoenix in US owned by itself that it’s not a world-class data center. The lack of shared web hosting experience & technology makes the WordPress sites not working as well as some professional shared web hosts. Meanwhile, as it offers many products, the staffs might not get the particular training on optimizing WordPress environment and supporting WordPress sites.
Although GoDaddy is not outstanding in hosting speed, it is still doing well in the uptime and reliability. Its servers are well secured by the technicians, and with the use of the CloudLinux operating system, you can expect a secure file system and a high level of site accessibility.
We have monitored the uptime of GoDaddy for a long time, and found that the company can get the promise of 99.9% uptime fulfilled at most times. The monitoring statistics below are the evidence.
The company provides 24×7 support via toll-free telephone or email, but it looks there is no option for online chat support. Based on our experience, the support via telephone is responsive and professional. Its help center includes rich resources you need – especially the complaints and resolutions to address the WordPress slowness.
|Video Tutorials||User Forum|
|Knowledgebase||Getting Started Service|
Conclusion – Why GoDaddy Is Not a Good Web Hosting Choice
Summarizing from the analyses above, GoDaddy is a good domain registrar, but it is not among the top choices for web hosting due to the following reasons.
- Relatively high costs. The cheapest Economy plan is priced at $6.99/mo, while it supports one domain only and comes with 100 email addresses and 25 sub-domains.
- Incomplete feature list. Unlike those leading web hosts that offer most of the widely used web hosting features, GoDaddy does not support some features like Ruby on Rails.
- Slow hosting speed. The speed that GoDaddy delivers is below the industry average, which does no good to any kind of websites especially those dealing with selling directly.
- Unavailability of the live chat support. GoDaddy, although being a large company, does not provide sales or technical support via live chat. There was a clue that this efficient communication method would be offered, but up to now, the company has not provided this service.
- 30 days refund guarantee. This is not a disadvantage, but a longer refund period like 60 days and 90 days would be more appreciated.
Any Better Choice than GoDaddy?
In terms of web hosting, there are many web hosts doing much better than GoDaddy, and the following ones are among the most excellent options. If you are looking to host WordPress or other open source applications on a reliable, secure and affordable platform, try a hosting plan offered by any of them.