The WordPress admin notice is one of the most critical parts of any WordPress powered website. With it, you can showcase some warning or success messages to your users, push them to take some actions and notify them of the important information. In the most cases, the admin notice is used by the plugins, templates and the WordPress core to display the standard messages. This time, we’d like to tell you the simple steps of how to display the custom admin notice in WordPress site to handle some special needs and situations.
Basic Knowledge of the Default WordPress Admin Notice
The default admin notice of a WordPress site works with a notification block. Generally, this block has the white background, textual content and the colored border. There are three types of the border. The green one generally showcases the common success message, the orange one will prompt users to take the action and the red one simply shows the errors or warnings.
For the custom utilization, the admin notice can benefit you in the following two situations mainly.
- If your WordPress site works for some other users or clients, the custom admin notice can guide them throughout your whole site easily. Especially, it works fine for those who are not familiar with the WordPress script.
- If you are running a multi-author WordPress site, the custom notice can showcase the useful and helpful information that tells people what they should do and what should not.
Display the Custom Admin Notice in WordPress
If you are a developer and feel comfortable of editing the functions.php file, you can add and display the custom admin notice to your WordPress site in a manually way. Otherwise, we sincerely suggest you to try the KJM Admin Notices tool.
With this special plugin, you can easily communicate with any other website users by showing the custom notice inside the WordPress administrative panel. With the powerful features provided by this plugin, you can create, showcase and manage the custom admin messages based on your needs.
Now, you can check the following steps to learn how to make use of this plugin.
Step 1 – Configure the Basic Plugin Settings
Before creating the personalized admin notices, you firstly should navigate to the plugin settings page to finish the basic configurations.
- To begin with, you need to check the first box to activate the function of this WordPress plugin. Otherwise, your custom notices cannot appear properly.
- If you want, you can generate a special custom post type for your custom notices exclusively.
- It is possible that you will display some important notices and want your users to get the information promptly. In this case, you can enable the feature of sending emails to your users on the publishing of the notices. Here, you have to enter your email address and the “Email From” name.
- For the better communication with your users, you can also allow the leaving of the comments for your custom notices.
Step 2 – Create the Notice Tags and Categories
After setting up the plugin configurations, now, you should create the tags and categories for your custom notices. Especially, if you showcase the notice for different purposes, this practice can help you better control and manage these messages.
Here, you can click the Notices > Notice Cats button to add the new categories. Generally, you can categorize the notices into the groups of “error”, “warning” and “success”. Surely, you can add any other groups based on your real needs.
After adding the categories, you can also decide the content availability for each category. Here, you can enable the content to be accessible for all the users, to logged out users or to logged in users only. Or, you can restrict the content checking for each category by choosing the exact user roles.
In addition, once your users are restricted to the content in the specific category, you can redirect them to another URL you want.
Now, you can click the Notices > Notices Tags to add the tags the same way as you do to the notice categories.
Step 3 – Add the Custom Admin Notices
In this step, you simply need to click the Notices > Add Notice button to add the new custom notices. You can use the WordPress editor to write down the messages and add the needed links. Here, do not forget to choose the notice categories and tags for the better management.
When scrolling down, you also have the freedom to show the notices to the user roles that are available on your WordPress site. Note that this will override the content restriction rules of your notice tags and categories.
In addition, you can click the Send Email checkbox. This way, your users can receive the informing message of your custom notices.
When consider the notice display, you can choose to hide the titles, authors, date as well as the dismiss links.
After clicking the Publish button, your custom admin notice will appear just like the following sample.