If you still don’t have a blog or personal website, you are completely out of style. A personal blog with your self descriptions, photos, work experiences, and hobbies can help promote yourself on the web over the world. To create a blog, WordPress is no doubt the best choice as it is the most popular blogging tool allows users to create powerful blog sites with ease. This WordPress blog installation tutorial offers a complete guide for both beginners and advanced users, taking you through the steps of installation your blog, configure and customize it, and even optimize it friendly to SEO.
Register a Domain Name
Before creating the blog, you need to register a domain name for your blog, which represents the Internet address that others can visit your blog through it. For example, WhatsWP.com is our domain name. To select a proper domain name, we have some suggestions as following.
- The domain name should be simple and short so it can be easy to write and remember.
- The domain name should be obvious, and it’s better to stand your blog name. So when people think of your website they can think of the address as well.
- The domain name is unique. If the name you want is taken, you can try to add a descriptive word to the end.
Sign Up a WordPress Hosting Account
Then, you need to sign up WordPress hosting account. Commonly, there are 5 typical WordPress hosting plans – free, shared, VPS, dedicated and managed WordPress hosting. In general, a shared web hosting plan is enough for personal blogs and small business blogs, but you should choose a right one based on your requirements.
Selected a hosting plan, you should consider the web hosting provider. There are thousands of web hosting providers available worldwide, but which one to choose? You can learn about the useful tips for choosing WordPress hosting providers, or you can read some independent reviews from professional editors and customers.
Personally, we recommend the reliable BlueHost (http://www.bluehost.com/) – one of the most popular WordPress hosting providers powering over 3 million websites all over the global. Providing superb WordPress hosting package at an affordable price $3.95/mo, it also includes a free domain name, $100 Google AdWords credits, $50 Facebook Ad credits, $50 Twitter Ad credits, etc.
Once domain name and web hosting account are prepared, you can start to create your blog WordPress. The process is simple as many reputable web hosts like BlueHost, HostGator, and JustHost provide 1-click WordPress installation so that you can simply create a blog with few clicks. Usually, there are 4 steps:
- Log into your hosting account and go to the control panel.
- Find out the WordPress website builder or auto installer, click into it.
- Installing WordPress from website builder directly, or Import a WordPress plugin which can be downloaded from WordPress.org.
- Configure the website information. Always, there are 4 options to configure, installation preferences, installation place, advanced options and additional plugins and themes. Click the complete button to finish it.
If you are going with BlueHost, you can follow this page, in which we introduce installing WordPress with the 1-click installation SimpleScripts and by hand.
Customize The Blog Look & Functionality
You have a new blog with a sample page already. Now, you can customize your blog to show your personal creativity and uniqueness. Generally, there are two aspects you need to optimize:
- The Appearance. To beautify the blog appearance, you can custom the background, header, footer, menu by yourself, or you can choose a preferred theme to make it. No matter which way to use, you need to log into your WordPress admin panel, and go to Appearance, and click the options you want to customize.
If you want to change the blog theme, you can choose Theme Options under Appearance and customize the color scheme, link color, default layout of the existing theme. On the other hand, you can install other themes on the Themes directory. Indeed, there are thousands of themes available, you can choose the best free WordPress themes on WordPress.org, or you can purchase a premium theme from the third party theme websites.
- The Functionality. By default, your WordPress blog has few functions. If you want to extend the functionality of your blog, you can install some useful plugins. For example, you can install the social sharing plugins to promote your blog in social networks, use the WordPress mobile plugins to make your blog mobile ready, and even you can change the permalink structure with the WordPress 301 redirection plugins, etc.
Start Blogging With WordPress
Everything is ok, so you can start blogging at once. Log into your WordPress admin panel, go to Posts – > Add New, you can see the following page.
You can simply enter the post title and write your content. Eventually, WordPress allows you insert pictures, videos, and audio into your posts. At last, click Publish button at right and your post has been published online.
Optimize The Blog
To attract more visitor to your blog, you should optimize it more friendly to search engines. First of all, you need to publish high quality content which is original, theme related, fluent and correct so that both visitors and search engines are interested in your blog.
In addition, you can learn from the WordPress SEO guidelines or use some WordPress SEO plugins yo do some optimizations for the post and blog, including the title, post description, permalinks, keywords, and so on.