People always pay close attentions to Google – the largest search engine on the web, but ignore the other search engines like Bing, which also takes a big share in the search field and brings a large number of visitors to website. In this tutorial, we just guide readers optimize their sites for Bing search engine by using the official Bing Webmaster Tools. With the careful introduction and guidelines, readers can have an in-depth understanding about the service and learn about how to use it to improve WordPress SEO.
About Bing Webmaster Tools
Developed by Microsoft Inc. in 2009, Bing Webmaster Tools is a free service that contains many useful tools to support webmasters to manage their website on Bing search engies. Some typical ones are listed in the following:
- Crawl issues enable users to find potential issues on their sites.
- Sitemaps gives users the ability to check whether Bing index their sitemap correctly.
- Outbound links showcases the outbound links Bing sees.
- Robost.txt allows users to check whether this file meets the standard or not.
Get Started with Bing Webmaster Tools
In order to drive traffic from Bing search engine, the first thing you need to do is sending the submission to the service. Once you login using your account, you can see a screenshot as the next, where you can enter your site URL or add the sitemap.
Once you submit a site to this service, Bing search engine will crawl your site and index your content, by which you can drive organic traffic from search result pages.
Then, Bing asks you authenticate your sites, which helps build up your brands easily and efficiently. By default, it offers 3 verification options:
- XML: you can download a file named as BingsiteAuth.xml and place it in the root directory of your site.
- Meta Tag: you can take the line of code offered and insert it in the section of your homepage.
- DNS: this option needs more technical knowledges than the previous two. You need to add a CNAME record with the name offered to the value verify.bing.com
You can freely choose one of the three options, and then click the Verify button at the bottom. Once done, you can click on your site and it brings you to the dashboard, which showcases your site activities.
Configure My Site
Click on configure my site tab, it takes to you to the dashboard of data for items that you can configure on your site. Click on the sub-tabs and you can get more detailed data and change the specific section.
- Sitemaps: here you can submit a new sitemap of your site, showcasing your site layout to Bing.
- Submit URLs: if you want a specific page get indexed quickly, you can utilize this feature to submit its URL. You are able to enter 10 URLs per day and 50 per month. Read this tutorial to learn about the detailed steps.
- Ignore parameters: you can use this feature to avoid duplicate content. However, it’s unnecessary if you use canonical tags within your site.
- Index control: As fast crawling may slow down the speed of your site, you can specify the time and rate how Bing to crawl your site.
- Block URLs: it helps you to remove pages/posts from Bing index.
Reports & Data
After confirmation your site, you can check the results by viewing the reports and data.
- Page traffic – it showcases the traffic data about your site.
- SEO report – here you can get SEO suggestions for your site.
- Index Explorer – it displays the the number of URLs, pages,the categories indexed by Bing search engine.
Diagnostics & Tools
In this part, Bing offers some helpful tools for your usage. For example, Bingbot gives you the ability to see how your site appears on Bing, SEO analyzer provides you some SEO advices for individual pages, and so on.