As a WordPress user, you must have heard about the term of RSS, but do you really know what it is and how it can benefit your search engine optimization? Here, we’d like to explain this term in detail, and introduce the steps of how to add it to improve the SEO of your WordPress powered site.
What is RSS
RSS, the acronym of Really Simple Syndication, makes use of a group of standard web feed formats to publish your latest updated information including news, magazines, blog posts, pages and so on so forth. It offers the full or summarized text and metadata, and allows your visitors to receive timely updates without the need to load your website and check manually.
The content with RSS can be read by RSS reader, a feed reader, as well as an aggregator web and desktop software. After installing an RSS reader and subscribe RSS feed, people can periodically receive messages and contents from the beloved websites.
Besides, as a standard XML file document, RSS can ensure a high level of compatibility with many other different machines or programs. Below is what the RSS looks like.
The ultimate benefit of RSS is to help people subscribe to your content easily and effortlessly. In the early years, if people love what you have written and want to keep track of your updates, they have no choice but bookmark it in their browsers and visit the site manually and frequently to figure out whether you have added something new. RSS, however, is used to simplify this process by allowing readers to receive your update information directly in their mailboxes, feed readers, desktop applications, and many other devices.
In addition to providing visitors with an easy experience for information acquiring, RSS also brings good search engine visibility as your subscribers are very likely to share your post around their social channels like Twitter, Facebook, Google Plus, and Pinterest, etc.
In the following, we have summarized the top 5 benefits of RSS feeds from 3 aspects.
- For Readers – RSS helps readers keep in touch with your site with ease. Once they use the RSS Feed, they can receive information from their favorite website directly in their browsers, feed readers, as well as desktop applications. In this way, people can get what they want very quickly, which ensures the information isn’t out of date.
- For Website Future – RSS can be a cheap and easy method for website promotion, with which you can improve your online visibility to some extent, expand your reader base largely, and retain the loyal readers’ interests on your content unceasingly. After all, RSS sends website content to people who love it. Thus, people are repeatedly reminded that they love the website. When time goes by, these people can become loyal followers to it.
- For Webmasters – For website owners, they can also subscribe to their favorite websites. In this way, webmasters can enrich their knowledge and writing skills. Besides, they can also subscribe their own site’s content to find out problems and make progress.
How to Add RSS
As there are a lot of web feed management providers, we highly recommend using Feedburner – a free service offering email subscription box that you can add to your sidebar.
To use it, you need to have a Google account in the very beginning. If you have one, simply go to its official site to start the process.
At first, you need to claim your feeds by typing the link to your WordPress site or feed address with a format like yourdomain.com/feed/.
Then, decide your feed title and feed address. By default, Feedburner will give you an example that stays the same with your website title, but you still can change it with a high level of memorability.
After completing step 1 and step 2, Feedburner may advise you to add additional free stats option for more richly detailed view of your feed readership. If you don’t want to do any further configuration, you can skip directly to feed management.
Now, you can see a page with links to a lot of social platforms. Ignore them and click on the Optimize tab right below these icons.
Now, you need to work on the optimization of your WordPress feed. Make sure that you have activated the option of Browser Friendly, Smart Feed, and FeedFlare. You can also activate some other service as you need, but these 3 options are the must have.
In the next step, configure the publicize options for you feed. According to our real experience, we highly recommend activating the Email Subscriptions, PingShot, FeedCount, and Awareness API. There are also some other excellent options you can choose, such as Headline Animator, BuzzBoost. It just all depends on your needs.
Once you have done all the steps mentioned above, you can click on the Analyze tab to see your feed statics. If you see a screen like the one below, don’t worry and give it up to 24 hours for record.
The last step is to integrate the FeedBurner feed with your WordPress site. You can do this with the help of a powerful plugin called FD FeedBurner, which automatically redirects the main feed and some comments feed to Feedburner.com.
Tips about Adding RSS
Honestly speaking, the process of adding RSS to your WordPress site is not difficult and complicate. You only need to follow the above-mentioned steps, then can do it without much hassle.
When done this successfully, you should also pay attention to additional two things so that can manage and customize your RSS Feed easily.
- Add Link Back to Your Website – Adding link backs to the original website reminds people where the information is coming from. In this way, people increase their awareness to your website. Besides, these link backs boost SEO and help you get a good ranking in search engines.
- Add text to your RSS Feed – You can add anything you want at the end of RSS Feed where people can easily notice, but won’t influence the whole composition. You can add a copyright, a summary, a note for linking back or even an advertisement.