Google AdSense is one of the most effective tools that allow you to make money online. In this article, we just come out the detailed guidelines about how to add Google AdSense ads to WordPress sites for money generation.
In order to increase revenue, bloggers are expecting to position ads on different places of the websites, especially the attractive places that have high click-through rate (CTR). As the better design gets better CTR, we suggest adding Google AdSense ads on the right places. In general, the recommended places are:
- Top Banner of your website(468 x60 px)
- Sidebar (Varies from 125×125 px up to 300×250 px)
- Content (468×60 or 300×250)
No matter where you want to place the ad on, you need to make it consistent with the website design as well as not to be intrusive for readers. In this article, we show careful steps to add Google AdSense ads to WordPress website header, menu bar, and sidebar.
Create Your Ads
In the following, let’s begin to create your ads.
- First of all, you need to log in the existing Google AdSense Account, or register a new one directly on the website. Note that if you register for the first time, you should wait for the verification email in about 6-8 hours, making sure that you have already passed the reviewing process.
- Then, click “My Ads” menu to create your own advert for the website. And then, you need to hit the New Ad Unit option. Here, you can be redirected to generate the new ads page. From this screen, you should choose the size, type and style for your advertisement. Note that you should enter the name of this ad for the internal management. As for the Ad Size option, Google AdSense gives you a lot of options for the certain situations, including the Medium Rectangle, Large Rectangle, Wide Skyscraper, Mobile Banner, Horizontal Banner, Vertical Banner, Square Banner and many more. The next selection is for the Ad Type. In the most cases, we recommend you to choose the Text & Display Ads option.
In addition, you also should decide the Backup Ads option. Here, you can display the blank space or showcase with your own ads when there is nothing to show. The last option is the Ad Style. By choosing the proper option, you can control the showcase of your advertisements matching your website design the most.
- Feel free to play around with the remainder settings, and click “Save and get code” to complete. You can copy and paste the available code into your Notepad properly for the utilization in the next step.
Add Google AdSense Ads on Website Header
- Log into WordPress dashboard, go to Appearance-> Editor and find header.php file.
- Open and edit hearder.php file, and paste the AdSense code into the file, like the following:
- You’d better use the center tags like <center>Google AdSense Code</center> to make the ads in the center location.
Add Google AdSense Ads Under Navigation Menu
Many people also like to add Google AdSense ads under the navigation menu as it’s quite easy to mislead customers to click on ads and make huge money. If you want to use the Link Unit, then we recommend you making it look like navigation bar. You can easily make this by customize the background and text link color based on your navigation menu. Just like the following:
As for the Leaderboard, we suggest you use rich media ads because they are better eye-catching.
You can easily add ads by log into WordPress dashboard and go to Appearance-> Editor to find the header.php file. Then paste the AdSense code into the bottom of the file. The process is quite similar with adding AdSense ads to website header.
Add Google AdSense Ads to the Sidebar
As well, some people also place ads on the sidebar. It is also easy to manage. You can simply paste the ad code into the widget.
In the WordPress admin panel, go to Appearance -> Widgets.
Click and drag a “Text widget” into the sidebar.
Paste the AdSense code into the widget and click the Save button to complete the process.
Add Google AdSense Ads using the AdSense Plugin WP QUADS Tool
The process of adding AdSense ads is not difficult for some experienced webmasters, but for newbies, this is still complicated. Luckily, there are some best WordPress plugins which can help you manage the process easily and fast. Here, we’d like to take the AdSense Plugin WP QUADS as the example.
This is a free plugin that allows you to insert and to show the AdSense ads in an easy and customized manner. Before everything, you should enter the settings page to make the following configurations.
General Settings – AdSense Code
From this part, you firstly need to navigate to the AdSense Code part to connect your generated AdSense ads with your WordPress site. Here, you can connect 10 ad options using the Google AdSense code or the plain text/HTML/JS. For the Google AdSense connection, you simply need to click the Copy/Paste AdSense Code link, paste the code you have saved in your Notepad and hit the Get Code button.
This way, the Ad Slot ID and the Publisher ID can be added automatically. Next, you can choose to showcase the ad in the fixed size, coming with your determined width and height. Or, you can choose the responsive option to make the ad adapt to difference screenshots and devices.
Also, you have the freedom to choose the layout, aligning your ad in the left side, right side or the center location inside your web content, along with the proper margin.
General Settings – Widget Code
If you want to show your AdSense code in the sidebar, you also can choose to generate the Widget Ad. For this, you can go through the same process as you do to the AdSense Code – enter the AdSense code, choose the ads type and decide the display layout.
General Settings – Position
Now, you can go back to the General & Position part. Here, you should decide the following aspects.
- Choose how many ads can be displayed on a single page.
- Assign the particular or the random ad option in the beginning, the middle or the end of a post. Also, you can choose some other showcase locations, such as after the More tag, before the last paragraph and after the certain image.
- Decide the ads visibility on homepage, categories page, archives page and the tags page.
- Choose the post types for ad showcase.
Showcase the AdSense Ads
Now, you can save the settings and the specific advertisement will appear at the corresponding location with the style you determine. For the sidebar display, you need to drag your ad widget to the proper sidebar place.
Even, you can add the AdSense ad manually via the post editing screen.
Some Other Google AdSense WordPress Plugins
In addition to the above-mentioned option, below are some other WordPress plugins for AdSense, which are gathered to help you implement, control and overview AdSense ads with ease.
AdRotate is one of the most popular WordPress plugins for AdSense, coming with the best way to put ads on your website. It has understandable and intuitive interface, allows you to add and to manage the ads from the dashboard. AdRotate also supports unlimited groups for banners, which allows you tie certain banners to different areas of the website. Note that this plugin requires running on PHP 5.2 or higher, and compatible up to the latest WordPress 3.6 already.
To show your Google AdSense advertisement, you simply need to add and edit your Advert by entering the title and the ad code. Here, you can choose the useful tags if you want and upload the banner asset optionally. From the same screen, you can get a live preview of your ad.
In addition, you can decide the showcase schedule of the advertisement, including the exact starting and ending time, day, month and year. Even, you can set up the advanced options to show the ads on some specific days on each week or hide the ad when the maximum clicks or impressions are met.
The best part is that you can get the clear statistics of your displayed ads, such as the showing devices, weight, shown report, clicks report and the click through rate.
Quick AdSense is WordPress plugin for ads management. It is popular for the quick and flexible method to add AdSense code into a blog post. Featuring a simple page with simple configurations, it doesn’t require much coding knowledge. It provides default ads position settings. Moreover, it can also allow you to display the ads anywhere within a post randomly. It is more likely to catch attentions for regular visitors.
The concept of this plugin is the quick and simple way to showcase the ads. In this case, you can make the bulk creation and display settings from the single plugin settings screen. After clicking the Settings > Quick Adsense button, you can do the following.
- Decide the maximum number of plugins shown on each page.
- Assign the particular ad at the exact location of a page, such as the beginning of the post, the end of the post, the middle of the post, after the More tag, after the exact paragraph and more.
- Determine to show the ads on posts, pages, homepage, categories and many more only.
- Enter the ads code along with the exact margin px and alignment.
In addition, this plugin will generate 10 ad widgets options. You just need to enter the ads code and drag the exact widget option into your sidebar.
Google AdSense Plugin
Google AdSense Plugin is a professional WordPress plugin that allows Google AdSense implementation into your website. In addition to the general features that allow you to insert the ads’ code into your blog or site, it also allows you to customize them easily. Besides, you can choose to insert the ads automatically, or you can decide the place where they appear. As this plugin has been translated into 8 languages, it is welcomed by users worldwide presently.
The utilization of this plugin requires you to authorize your Google account for the proper management of the ad blocks.
After that, you can easily add or manage the new and existing ad blocks you have created in your Google Adsense account.
Easy AdSense offers an easy solution to produce revenue from your website by applying Google AdSense. It has a lot of options that allow you to put links or AdSense Block in the footer or header, and display AdSense ads based on the length of the post. With flexibility and easy control, you can make money easily for your site.
To use this plugin, you simply need to go through the following easy steps.
- Get the ad code from your Google AdSense account.
- Copy and paste the code into the boxes based on your needs.
- Determine the alignment and other display options.
- Check the Google policy options.
Here, you can find that the location of the ads is determined in advance, such as the beginning, middle and end of the post, the widget text, the link-units text and the Google Search widget. You just need to enter your target ad code and decide some showcase options like the position and title, and the ad content can be displayed properly.
Google AdSense Ads Manager
This option can be regarded as one of the simplest Google AdSense WordPres plugins for configuration, with which you can easily get the maximum revenue by using this ad service in a correct way. There is a simple interface available, along with the option to add HTML in the text area so you can specify the AdSense code. In addition, some other important options of alignment specification and condition determination are also available. While there is no extra code, this plugin will not impact your website performance.
Here, you can directly enable the ads display on the top, middle and end of the posts. Each option allows you to determine the CSS floating property and the exact showcase pages. If you enable the middle post ads, you can even choose to add the ads after the particular paragraph.
Some Other Tips about Adding Google AdSense Ads in WordPress
- The best size of the ads – Frankly speaking, it is true that different websites might be suitable with different sizes of the ads due to the exclusive design and layout. However, as researched, the ads with 336×280 or 300×260 px can fit on almost all the screen sizes.
- The ads placement – This also depends on the website layout. However, as your final goal is to get more ads clicks, you’d better place them at the most prominent location of the whole page.
- The Self-clicking – Some of you may click your ads for more CTR. Please never do this again. After all, Google is smart and they know it is you who click on the ads. If you do this too often, you may face the risk of being banned.